The activities undertaken by the Kiribati 'National Statistics Office' (NSO) is governed by the Statistics Act of 1997 [CAP. 96] of the Republic of Kiribati. This page highlights the key functions and roles of the Kiribati NSO provided by this Act, including information about the staff employed by the Office. Please note that at the time of publishing an electronic copy of the act is not available but will be published in this website when it is ready. Appointment of Government Statistician
- The Minister may by notice appoint a Government Statistician who shall have and may exercise such powers and functions as are conferred on him by this ordinance.
- The Government Statistician may, in writing, appoint any person to be an authorised officer for the purposes of this Ordinance.
- The Minister may give to the Government Statistician or an authorised officer such directions as he thinks fit with respect to the exercise or performance of his powers, functions or duties under this Ordinance, either generally or in a particular case.
- The Government Statistician or an authorised officer shall in the exercise of his powers, functions or dutiesunder this Ordinance, comply with and directions given by the Minister.
Duties and Powers of Government Statistician
It shall be the duty of the Government Statistician:
- to collect, compile, analyse, abstract and publish statistical information relating to the commercial, industrial, agricultural, social, economic and general activities and condition of the people of the Gilbert Islands
- to coordinate with departments of the Government the collection, compilation, analysis and publication of statistical records of administration
- and generally to organise a coordinated scheme of social and ecnomic statistics relating to the Islands, in accordance with the provisions of this Ordinance
- it shall be the duty of the Government Statistician to make such arrangements and to do all such things as are necessary for the performance of his duties under this Ordinance
Collection of statistical information The Government Statistician shall collect in the Gilbert Islands or any part thereof statistical information relating to all or any of the matters set out in schedule 1 The Minister may from time time, by order, amend schedule 1. Compilation and tabulation of statistical information The Government Statistician shall cause the statistical information collected under this Ordinance to be compiled, tabulated and analysed and, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, may cause such statistical information or abstracts thereof to be published with or without observations thereon, in such manners as he may determine. Power to obtain particulars Where any statistical information is being collected in accordance with the provision of the Ordinance, an authorised officer may require any person from whom particulars may lawfully be required under this Ordinance to supply him with such particulars as may be prescribed or which the Government Statistician may consider necessary or desirable in relation to the collection of such statistical information; and on being so required such person shall, to the best of his knowledge and belief, complete such forms, make such returns, answer such questions and give all information, in such manner without within such reasonable time, as may be required by the authorised officer. Access to public and other records Where in the collection of statistical information relating to any matter set in schedule 1 the Government Statistician is of opinion that there can be obtained from any Government records or documents or from any records or documents belonging to any local authority information sought in respect of such matter, any person who has the custody of any such record or document shall grant access thereto to the Government Statistician or any authorised officer. Power of entry An authorised officer may, at all reasonable times and upon production, if required of his authorisation , for any purpose connected with the collection of statistical information, enter and inspect any land, building, vehicle or vessel where persons are employed other than a dwelling-house, and may make such enquiries as may be necessary for the collection of such information. [/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]